Tickets are now on sale for the 2023 Pinehurst Barbecue Festival, which runs from Sept. 1-3. At least for Labor Day weekend, forget what that one fast-food chain claims — Pinehurst has the meats.
Don’t Miss Sunday’s Pitmaster Invitational
The festival’s staple event is the Christopher Prieto Pitmaster Invitational. Seven pitmasters from around North Carolina will cook and serve signature meats and sides from pitmasters set up around downtown Pinehurst.
- Ticket holders will get a sampling of meat and sides from each pitmaster, as well as the opportunity to purchase beer along the way.
- Early bird tickets allow a 10 a.m. entry: A one-hour head start on sampling from a general admission ticket.
- From Monday, March 6 to Friday, April 7, festival sponsor Dr Pepper will provide a free kids’ ticket ($20 value) for those 12 and under. Kids under 6 are always free.
The Got To Be NC vendor area will showcase at least 30 Tar Heel-based food and beverage products on the Village Green area, while the Carolina CoPacking sauce and spice vendor row expects to expand to nearly 50 merchants with free samplings.
Who’s Cooking at the Pitmaster Invitational?
Christopher Prieto, of Prime Barbecue, a Food Network TV personality, returns this year as the festival headliner. Other meat masters include:
- Adam Hughes, of Old Colony Smokehouse in Edenton
- Lewis Donald, of Sweet Lew’s BBQ in Charlotte
- Ron Simmons, of Master Blend Family Farms in Kenansville (all-organic meat option)
- Keith Henning, of Black Powder Smokehouse in Jamestown
- Jake Wood, of Lawrence Barbecue in Durham
- Benjie Ayala, of Pinehurst Brewing Co.
New this year, the Cackalacky Pig-Out VIP ticket comes with a chance to meet each pitmaster, and return to pitmasters for seconds.
What Else is in Store at the Pinehurst Barbecue Festival?
:: Friday, Sept. 1, 6:30-8:30 p.m.: The High On The Hog Pitmaster Gourmet Dinner presented by Lin Hutaff’s Pinehurst Realty Group.
Guests will be treated to samples or gourmet barbecue, crafted cocktails and food samples, including various seafood options, along with Southern side dishes. A cash bar will be available throughout the evening. Get tickets.
:: Saturday, Sept. 2
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Q-School Grilling Class at Pinehurst Brewing Co. Experience demos with a range of meats on a variety of grills, led by Christopher Prieto of Prime Barbecue in Knightdale and another pitmaster (TBD). Ticket holders will get to learn and eat at the same time, and there will be exclusive beer sampling opportunities provided by Pinehurst Brewing Co. No children under 12. Get tickets.
- 5-7 p.m.: Bourbon & Bites, presented by Lin Hutaff’s Pinehurst Realty Group. The North & South Whiskey Bar will play host to an intimate evening of whiskey and bourbon sampling, paired with small plates from the Pinehurst Resort culinary team. Participants will sample five varieties of bourbon, including an exclusive Woodford Reserve Small Batch made exclusively for Pinehurst Resort, and receive a cigar compliments of Specialty Cigars. Get tickets.
- 7-9 p.m.: Music on Magnolia concert featuring Kids in America, Totally 80s Tribute Band, sponsored by Cooper Ford. Kids in America specializes in recreating the 80s visually and musically by delivering authentic sound with a vivid show for your favorite 80s hits. The concert will be across the street from Pinehurst Brewing Co. Kids under 12 are admitted free with paid adult admission. Get tickets.
Get your tickets now.
Several events sold out last year, and are expected to sell out again. For tickets and more information, visit PinehurstBarbecueFestival.com.
This post was produced in partnership with the Pinehurst Barbecue Festival.