Many of our state parks are closed, but you can still earn a Junior Ranger Patch from home.
First, visit the Junior Ranger website and print out this activity book. Follow the steps below to earn the 20 “acorn points” required to earn a Junior Ranger Patch for each state park.
- Answer the questions on page 4 about a park of your choice, using that park’s website for clues. Here’s a list of NC parks for reference.
- Email a park ranger and ask them for answers to the questions on pages 6-7. You don’t have to retype the questions in the book, but you still need to come up with one of your own.
- Use the park’s website to answer the questions about the park’s history on page 8.
- Use the park’s online map to answer questions about the water basins.
- Fill in the blanks after viewing a virtual program or hike via the state park’s YouTube channel, or by finding information on one of the state park’s Facebook page.
- Get the final point by writing a poem about the park or drawing a picture of the park, using photos and information found on the park’s website. You can also explore the park on Google Earth or via a virtual tour.
Once the above steps are completed, gather your work and send it to the park; either send it by snail mail, or scan and email it. Each packet should go to the state park that you chose to focus on. The park will then send a patch to you in the mail.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com