If You Like Piña Coladas…
Come with us and escape. As ~quaint~ as our area is, we know sometimes you’ve just gotta get away. The warmer days have us wanting to hit the road, so we’ve compiled a list of ways to spend a long weekend. Or, you know, Friday.
1. At sea Level: Embrace that early 2000s nostalgia by taking a Dawson’s Creek walking tour in Wilmington. Make it a full weekend and head to Carolina Beach, where Britt’s Donuts will bless your taste buds on the boardwalk. Drive time: 2.5ish hours.
2. At high altitude: Take your bikes out to Uwharrie National Forest for a scenic day trip or hike up Morrow Mountain — then pull in for an old-fashioned drive-thru movie at Badin Road. Drive time: About an hour.
3. With a llama: Drinking with farm animals is no probllama at Divine Llama Vineyards near Pilot Mountain. You can even inquire about llama trekking. Tina, you fat lard, come get some wine. Drive time: Almost 2 hours.
4. With a lemur: Visit the Greensboro Science Center for a trip that suits all ages with a zoo + zip-lining and adventure courses. Then visit one of the two selfie museums. Yes, really. Your Instagram will thank us later. Drive time: An hour 15.
5. With pie and kayaks: For a semi-local adventure trip, go kayaking with Cape Fear River Adventures and get high at ZipQuest (pictured above) or Triangle Rock Club. Then snack on savory or savory options at Fayetteville Pie Co. Drive time: 45 minutes.
6. With some manufactured rapids: Visit the U.S. National Whitewater Center for whitewater kayaking, rock climbing and trails, then grab drinks at The Puttery, an upscale bar / mini golf course. Drive time: Two hours.