We’re Buff as in History
Fans of old stuff can check out the Carthage History Museum, and taxidermy aficionados can visit the Creation Museum right in downtown Southern Pines. But if you’re down for a road trip, here’s a list of some spots worth a stop.
- Power of Women in Country Music exhibit: Shimmy into your boots for the Women in Country Music Exhibit inside the North Carolina Museum of History in downtown Raleigh, now through the end of February. This exhibit is small, but you could easily spend a whole day in the building. These boots were made for walkin’.
- US Army Airborne and Special Operations Museum: Get a taste of some of what happens with our service members at this Fayetteville museum. It’s also pretty cool to see fly bois through history. All The Way.
- The Van Gogh Experience – Immerse yourself in The Van Gogh Immersive experience in Raleigh, and feel like you’re in an alternate colorful reality. The exhibit is only until the end of February. Get your tickets, sunflowers. Bonus: Sign up for yoga during the experience.
- Pinball Museum: This fun, funky spot is in Asheville along with more famous museums like The Biltmore, the largest home in the U.S. — but you can actually play games here. Get a new high score.
- North Carolina Maritime Museum: Learn about old maritime technology and see artifacts from the pirate Blackbeard and his ship, the Queen Anne’s Revenge. The museum is in Beaufort, which means you can kill time arguing about the pronunciation of the town. Arrrrg.
- NC Transportation Museum: Let things get steamy. Kidding — kind of. Learn about steam locomotives, see antique automobiles, fire trucks, airplanes and more at this Spencer museum. We don’t know where we’re going, but we’re on our way.