|Here’s a list of our six favorite local spots for something sweet, frozen and delicious.
1. Pinehurst Resort: Watch frustrated golfers try to sink a putt at the 18th hole of Pinehurst No. 2 as you chill out with a spiked milkshake on the patio of The Deuce. Choose from flavors like chocolate peanut butter (left) or salted caramel pretzel (right), and pick your poison or let the bartender choose. The full-sized candy bar really puts it over the top. They’ll run you $14, but who cares? Info.
2. Ben’s Ice Cream: It’s hard to deviate from banana pudding ice cream, but when Kalawi Farms peaches are in season, that’s the way you’ve got to go. Get it in a waffle cone, which have been hand-rolled by the same woman since the early 1990s. Info.
3. Sam’s Ice Cream: Fill your basket with fresh produce at Highlander’s Farm in Carthage, and reward yourself for eating healthy with a cone of homemade strawberry or pineapple. Info.
4. Possum Run: You’d think points would be deducted for the name, until you realize this Robbins spot is also a garden center — and possums eat slugs, aka those slimy horned assholes that crawl up from hell every Spring to eat your prized hostas. Anyway, they stock a mean cookies ‘n cream soft serve. Info.
5. Ice Cream Parlor: Not just the place to see and be seen, this downtown Southern Pines staple has a rotating selection that all ages enjoy. Try dipping your french fries in hand-dipped cotton candy or raspberry dark chocolate. Info.
6. Crossroads Coffee: While an iced coffee is always a worthy cool-down option at this Vass gem, we opt for their orange cream milkshake or affogato, ice cream drizzled with espresso. Plain ‘ol scoops are available for the kids. Info.
This list appeared in the July 9, 2018 issue of The Sway. Read the rest of that issue by clicking here.