There’s still one month left of summer?! You may be looking at a calendar with despair, but don’t worry. If your plans for the *best summer ever* have run a little dry, I’ve got some ideas below.
1. Check out the National Athletic Village. They have full week and daily options for campers in August. Something about the word “athletic” makes you feel like they will just be tired and ready for bed by the time they get home. More here.
2. Also in the spirit of being active, Southern Pines CrossFit has CrossFit Kids and CrossFit Teen classes in the afternoons. Drop your K-8th grade kiddos off while you stroll downtown or, you know, “catch up on your reading” at the Wine Cellar. Info here.
3. Hit the course! U.S. Kids Golf offers a camp each week in August and The First Tee of the Sandhills has a few spots left in their end of summer programs as well. Info.
4. Create an entrepreneur: Sandhills Community College has an August camp session for 8-14 year olds which teaches them how to code in the Lua language while playing and designing worlds in ROBLOX®, an online universe where you can create anything you dream of. Like maybe a shorter summer?
5. Sandhills Gymmnastics has a variety of programs offered during the month of August. Their online system shows open slots, so you don’t have to worry about getting your hopes crushed by sending an email questioning if they have space.
6. VBS: Consider sending your kids to one of the three Vacation Bible Schools I found in August. Check out First Presbyterian Church of Carthage, August 3-4; Solid Rock Community Church (Sanford), August 3-5; or Eagle Springs Baptist, Aug. 6-10.
If all else fails you, including the weather, try one of the summer movie nights being offered at Play Escape. Movies start at 4 p.m. and popcorn is included. The movie is free with admission, so if they can’t yet sit still they can play.
Good luck! See you on the other side of summer.
Melissa Kohlman is a local mom of a 2-year-old and 4-year-old, and a member of the Sway community. Submit your own articles at email@example.com.