Since coming out seven years ago, Sandhills PRIDE is celebrating the month of June with its biggest pride month yet. The organization grows every year and is debuting an event calendar with more than 10 festivities. Executive Director, Lauren Mathers says, “We want to have a larger presence in the area. Having representation is extremely important to make LGBTQ+ community members and allies feel safe.”
Here’s where you can show your pride this month in the Sandhills:
1. Clean up with Pride
Sunday, June 5, 2022, 10 a.m. to noon: Help clean up local highways with PRIDE Community CARE projects, recurring service activities that give back to the community and neighbors in the Sandhills. Sign up here.
2. Watch a movie (or all three) at the PRIDE Film Series at the Sunrise Theater.
First Three Thursdays in June: The Sunrise will show a different film that spotlights LGBTQ+ stories in cinema:
- Thursday, June 2, 7: p.m. – Moonlight
- Thursday, June 9, 6:30 p.m. – Queen & A – A conversation about the history and culture of drag performance will hosted by Naomi Dix from Durham’s House of Coxx prior to the showing of Is Paris Burning. Bring your questions about anything drag and learn more about the significance of drag performances to LGBTQ+ history and today.
- Thursday, June 16, 7 p.m. – Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Co-sponsored by: Sandhills PRIDE, Realty World~The Nikki Bowman Team and Manifest Boutique.
Tickets can be purchased online at the Sunrise Theater website or at the theater 30 minutes before each showing/event.
3. Slay the day away at Drag Brunch.
Sunday, June 12, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Realty World~The Nikki Bowman Team and Manifest Boutique presents: Drag at the Mine III: A Trinity of Divnity. Hosted by queen Naomi Dix with Stormie Daie and king Dustin Reams, members of Durham’s House of Coxx (BIPOC owned and operated since 2013) will be making their way back to the Leadmine in DTSP for a brunch to remember. Get your tickets, queens.
4. Bust out your rainbow bowling ball with the youth.
Friday, June 17, 6-8 p.m.: Attend Cosmic Bowling – PRIDE Youth Night at Sandhills Bowling Center. A special PRIDE event just for Teens. If special circumstances exist for which a parent or guardian wishes to attend, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Taco’bout some PRIDEful trivia.
Saturday, June 18, 5:30-8 p.m.: Tacos, trivia, and fun with our friends at STARworks. This event is co-sponsored by Sandhills PRIDE, Realty World~The Nikki Bowman Team, Manifest Boutique, and STARworks. Get tickets.
6. Three strikes, you’re OUT.
Tuesday, June 21: Gates open at 6p.m. and first pitch is thrown at 7:05 p.m. Caravan with Sandhills PRIDE to support the Fayetteville Woodpeckers’ first Pride Night! First 700 people receive a Pride T-shirt to commemorate the event. Purchase tickets directly from park and check the SP website for info on caravaning.
7. Go get OUTside
Saturday, June 25, 10–11:30 a.m.: Show your PRIDE OUTside with a nature walk at Reservoir Park.
8. Cheers to PRIDE month
Tuesday, June 28, 5:30 to 8 p.m.: Enjoy PRIDE Night OUT at Vinyl Night at The Hatchet Brewery in DTSP with board games, great brews, and your favorite vinyl spinning.
Have questions? Email email@example.com.