You may not sold on seltzers, but the rest of the world is getting there, fast — evidenced by the fact that this brave new world of alcohol delivery is solely responsible for resurrecting the Four Loko brand (into a 12% ABV version, no less). We’re not about that life, so we’ve compiled a list of kindler, gentler ways to get a buzz this season.
1. Natural Light Seltzer: Natty has classed itself up, but not enough to lose its brand. Try Catalina Lime Mixer or Aloha Beaches — and try them before you buy Bud Light’s version. Trust us. ABV: 6%
2. Omission: If you’re the kind of person who has a juice maker at home, you’ll appreciate that this can has only four (yes, four) ingredients: filtered water, alcohol from cold-brewed sugar, hops, and fruit juice from 100 percent real fruit. If you are trying to be as healthy as you look, this is the option for you. ABV: 4%
3. Henry’s: Coming in at just 88 (!!) calories, Henry’s Sparkling Water is the second-to-lowest cal drink on this list. Plus, it comes in pineapple, a flavor near and dear to our hearts. ABV: 4.2%
4. Bon Viv: After changing up its look and name in early 2019, Bon & Viv (formerly SpikedSeltzer) returned to shelves lighter and brighter, with new flavors like Pear Elderflower, Clementine Hibiscus, and Black Cherry Rosemary. Now just 90 cals, it’s low in carbs, with zero grams (as in zilch, nada, none) of sugar. ABV: 4.5%
5. Wild Basin. If giving back makes you feel better about drinking, you should know that Wild Basin Boozy Sparkling Water is crafted and canned by Colorado-based Oskar Blues Brewery. The brand works with the Can’d Aid Foundation to support river and beach cleanups around the country. ABV: 5%
6. Crook and Marker: If organic is your (all-natural) jam, Crook & Marker Spiked & Sparking contains no sugar and is made with organic alcohol. With one lowest alcohol content of any hard seltzer on this list (and the least amount of calories, at 80) Crook & Marker is perfect for lengthy day-drinking sessions. ABV: 4%
7. Cape Line: Cape Line does contain carbonated water, but it’s more of a sparkling cocktail than a hard seltzer. These drinks are also made with alcohol made from fermented cane sugar, cane sugar, natural flavors, citrus juice concentrate, and fruit juice. ABV: 4.5%
Want to try a can for yourself? We found all the above at our local Harris Teeter.